This is a healthy and filling lunch or dinner which can easily be made the day before. The soup shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes to make (including preparation time).
Red lentil soup with carrots
Write a review
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 red or brown onion
- organic unrefined coconut oil (enough to gently fry an onion) or rapeseed oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 litre of chicken stock (or organic chicken stock cube)
- red paprika
- Chop onion and garlic and keep it separately.
- Cut the carrot in thin slices which you cut in half or quarters.
- Add coconut oil to a saucepan and heat it up.
- Gently fry the onion on a medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Wash lentils and add them to the saucepan.
- Add chicken stock (or water and chicken stock cube).
- Add a dash of turmeric and paprika.
- Leave it too cook for 20 minutes.
- If the soup looks too thick, add more water. To thicken it you can use a spoon of cornflour mixed with little water.
- Serve the soup with lemon. This is the essential ingredient! It makes soup tastes amazing and it helps iron from lentils to absorb better into the body. You can also have this soup with a piece of brown toast if you like.
- I vary this soup by adding other vegetables sometimes. In the picture above you can see red peppers in it. I've also tried adding mushrooms which is ok and also tried with celery which is not too bad. You can experiment adding other vegetables if you like and see if it improves the soup.
Be Healthy Now http://www.behealthynow.co.uk/