How do you start your day? Do you check your phone the first thing in the morning, quickly get ready for work and rush through the doors? Or do you do things slightly differently? Starting a day on a healthy note really makes a difference to your well-being and how you feel for the rest of the day.
Why not introduce some healthy morning habits?
While some people check their phones the first thing in the morning, in their beds, I never do that. Instead, after the alarm rings, I get up and make my way to the kitchen where I boil the kettle. And this is really the first thing I do in the morning (well, after a toilet visit of course..).
I get a half a glass of cold water ready and squeeze some lemon while waiting for the kettle to boil. I then pour hot water into the glass, making water warm. I then add about 1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and give it a good stir.
I can easily have this lemony drink without any natural sweeteners but recently I started putting some honey in it as I started adding ginger to the drink as well.
Honey, ginger and lemon is quite a nice combination actually, and so good for you! I find ginger flavour quite strong so honey makes it a little bit milder and easier to consume.
Ginger has so many amazing health benefits, just to mention a few:
- It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects
- It has been shown to be effective against exercise-induced muscle pain
- Its anti-inflammatory effects can help with osteoarthritis
- It has been shown to lower blood sugar levels
- It can help treat chronic indigestion
- It helps to lower cholesterol levels
I started adding ginger (about 1/2 tsp) to my lemony drink every morning just because of its health benefits but the main reason for it was to try and treat my digestive issues which I am currently experiencing. Since I’ve been taking it, my digestive problems have definitely improved.
If you do plan to consume ground ginger every day, like me, then it’s worth buying it in bulk. I bought my ginger on Amazon from Green Cuisine, which is currently unavailable, but you can still find organic ginger on Amazon from other brands like JustIngredients and StayFreshOrganics.
When I bought ginger on Amazon I also bought raw honey from Baltic Shop. This honey is absolutely amazing, it’s a proper honey, with really rich flavour and so sweet. It hasn’t been heated up so it still contains all the beneficial enzymes which have many health benefits. To learn about raw honey and why it’s good for you, read this article.
Another amazing ingredient in this healthy drink is lemon juice which also has a long list of health benefits, just to mention a few:
- Lemon juice is an excellent source of the powerful antioxidant vitamin C which helps to fight free radicals known to cause cancer. Vitamin C is also essential for a healthy functioning of immune system and important for a healthy skin.
- Lemon water may help treat kidney stones as it contains high amounts of citrate which numerous human studies have found that it can successfully help treat kidney stones.
- Aids in digestion and detoxification
Is it time for you to start having this healthy drink in the morning? What do you normally drink in the morning?
* This post contains affiliate links (if you purchase a product after clicking on a link I get a small commission which helps me maintain this website and keep all the content free for you. This does not cost you anything).