This is a quick and healthy meal which you can eat for lunch at work or as a light dinner. Inspiration for this meal comes from this website and I tend to make different versions of this chickpea salad every week depending on what I have in the fridge. I vary the vegetables I put in, but I always use garlicky yoghurt sauce with it as it just makes it really delicious.
When I take it to work I always use two separate containers and mix the salad and the sauce just before I eat it. It’s better to do it this way otherwise it will turn funny, kind of watery (salt will draw water out of cucumbers).
Chickpea salad with garlicky yoghurt sauce
- carton of organic chickpeas (I use SO Sainsbury's chickpeas)
- 1/2 red or orange pepper (cubed)
- 1/2 avocado (cut in cubes)
- 2 spring onions (chopped)
- a handful of plum tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cucumber (sliced and quartered)
Garlicky yoghurt sauce
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp natural low fat yoghurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt as desired
- 1/2 squeezed lemon juice
- Drain chickpeas and put them into your lunch container or on a deep plate.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and mix all together.
- Prepare the garlicky yoghurt sauce: in a separate container mix garlic, yoghurt, olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
- If you take it to work, make sure all the containers are tightly closed so they don't leak!