If you love having porridge in the morning you will love this quinoa porridge. I’ve used quinoa flakes for this purpose as these are really quick to cook – they only take a couple of minutes! The inspiration for this recipe came from the book Superfood Kitchen, by Julie Morris. There was a recipe in the book for a hot quinoa bowl which I tried but then I decided to make my own version of it as well.
I bought quinoa flakes from Holland and Barrett but you may be able to find them cheaper somewhere else if you shop around.
Quinoa is a great source of protein and the one I bought contains 11g of protein per 100g. It’s actually considered a complete protein, meaning it contains all 10 amino acids your body needs. It’s also naturally gluten-free and contains several minerals such as manganese, magnesium and phosphorus.
If you compare quinoa to porridge oats, the main difference is the protein content and the quality. Quinoa provides more protein per 100g and porridge oats provide only some of the essential amino acids (they are not a complete protein). Both quinoa and oatmeal provide health benefits so I wouldn’t say one is better than the other.
The quinoa bowl I made is a total vitamin and mineral bomb! The banana is optional, I just added it as I had to use it. If you don’t have a raw cacao powder you could use cocoa instead, but it has to be sugar-free and you will need only a little bit as it has a stronger flavour than cacao. I use organic cacao powder which I bought on Amazon (there are different brands to choose from, just make sure it’s organic).
The cacao powder is high in antioxidants and is a great source of iron and magnesium.
After adding some cacao powder to quinoa porridge, I also added a bit of cinnamon which is also rich in antioxidants but also contains calcium. See what other minerals and vitamins it contains here.
The date syrup which I added to the meal is rich in manganese, magnesium and potassium. I bought it in Asda for £2 when it was on offer, but the offer is finished now, unfortunately. If you want to buy it check online for any deals.
So, over to the recipe now…
Blueberry & Cacao Quinoa Bowl
- 4 tbsp quinoa flakes
- a handful of blueberries (I used frozen ones)
- 1/2 banana (optional)
- 2-3 brazil nuts (chopped)
- a drizzle of date syrup (could use maple syrup instead)
- a pinch of sea salt (brings all the flavours out)
- 100 ml of water (if more liquid is needed add some plant based milk such as almond or coconut)
- 1/2 tbsp organic cacao powder or 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Add water and quinoa flakes to the small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and mix together. Cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat and let it rest for a few minutes, add more liquid if necessary.
- Once cooked add to a bowl, add cacao powder and cinnamon and mix everything together.
- Add blueberries on top and the rest of the ingredients.
- Finish off by drizzling the meal with some date syrup.
Recipe of the Week, #recipeoftheweek, hosted by Emily from A Mummy Too
Tasty Tuesdays, #tastytuesdays, hosted by Vicki from Honest Mum