This is a really lovely meal and I got the idea for it during my vegetarian week when I asked my followers on Twitter what they suggest I should have from the available ingredients. Lovely Camilla quickly responded with her ideas:
@BeHealthyFeelGd Roast veg, drizzle with dried herbs & olive oil, once ready drizzle lemon juice serve on bed of cous cous. Avocado starter!
— Camilla (@FabFood4All) May 24, 2014
I slightly tailored the suggested meal by adding chickpeas and parsley to couscous and I left dried herbs out.
Wholewheat couscous with chickpeas and roasted veg
- 1 cup of wholewheat couscous
- 1 red onion halved
- 1 courgette sliced lengthways, 1/2 thick
- 1 bell pepper sliced into quarters
- 1 carrot halved and sliced lengthways into quarters
- 2 strokes of chopped garlic
- handful of parsley chopped
- chickpeas - 1/2 of a carton
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon or more if desired
- Prepare couscous according to the pack instructions and set aside to cool.
- Fill a big roasting tin with the sliced vegetables and roast for about 30 minutes on 200C.
- Add chopped garlic, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice to the couscous and mix all together.
- Next, add chickpeas and gently mix it all together.
- Put couscous on plates and add roasted vegetables on top.