This is a healthy lunch I like to eat at least once a week. I make it the evening before or even on the same day in the morning. It doesn’t take long to make. You could leave quinoa to cook and peppers to roast while you are getting ready for work.
Quinoa salad with roasted peppers
- 1 cup quinoa
- Half of red pepper
- Half of green pepper
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- pine nuts
- low fat white cheese (I use Apetina 10%)
- half of avocado
- mixed salad leaves
- half of a lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt as required
- Wash quinoa and cook in twice as much of water for 20-25mins.
- Roast peppers on 180-200 degrees Celsius for 20-25 mins or until they get soft enough.
- Prepare salad: Put mixed salad leaves in a bowl, add cherry tomatoes, avocado pieces, a dash of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix all together.
- Squeeze half of a lemon to be ready for the meal once everything is finished.
- When peppers are almost done, add a handful of pine nuts to roast them for a few minutes. Be careful not to make them too brown.
- Once the quinoa is ready, make sure all the water has evaporated. Add some olive oil, a little bit of salt and 1/4 of a squeezed lemon juice.
- Put cooked quinoa on a plate (or a plastic container ready for work) together with roasted peppers and pine nuts. Add a mixed salad, pour the rest of the lemon juice on top and add low-fat white cheese pieces.
- If you are making this meal for work, leave the lemon out and take it to work with you to squeeze it onto a meal just before you eat.