Lentil soups are my staple meal since I rarely eat meat and I need to get protein from other sources. I used to make red lentil and carrot soup every week until I kind of got bored of it. I now always like to experiment by adding different types of vegetables to my lentil soups. Not long ago I made a red lentil soup with sweet potato and spinach, which was great, but this time I decided to make it with courgettes and spinach.
Red lentil soup with spinach and courgettes
- 1-2 cups organic red lentils
- 100-150 g of real spinach bunched spinach
- stalk of celery chopped
- small carrot chopped
- courgette chopped
- red onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- vegetable stock cube I use Kallo's organic vegetable stock cubes
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or coconut oil
- Heat up the oil, add the chopped red onion and fry on a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add chopped garlic, quickly stir and leave to cook for a minute or so before adding red lentils.
- Add stock cube and enough hot water to cover lentils which you need to cook for at least 20 minutes.
- Add celery and chopped carrot and leave to cook for 5-10 minutes. This is added first as they take the longest to cook. After that add chopped courgette.
- While lentils are cooking they will quickly absorb water so you need to add more water when needed.
- Add washed spinach towards the end when the soup is almost ready as spinach takes only a minute or two to cook.
Serve with a slice of wholewheat or spelt bread and add a dash of lemon to help body absorb more iron.