Did you know that now is the season for South African apples and pears? South African Mediterranean climate and excellent soils help to produce some of the world’s most delicious and high quality fruit. Have you spotted any in your supermarket yet and tried them? (if you could buy an organic version even better!)
I am not the biggest fan of raw apples, I prefer them stewed or cooked, but I do love desserts containing apples! However, I much prefer pears actually as they are sweeter.
Recently I came across a lovely recipe with apples and pears as stand-out ingredients and I quite liked the whole meal idea so I decided to share this recipe here with you (courtesy of South African Fruit company). The whole meal is really easy to prepare and it’s packed with a variety of nutrients, including protein which comes from quinoa and cheese. This makes a great light lunch which is quite different to what would people normally have. It’s great if you are getting bored of your lunches and want to try something different. So here is the recipe…
This bowl of good-for-you foods is perfect for an energy-boosting light lunch or sharing snack, with chunks of South African Packham or William Pears and Pink Lady Apples, with cooked quinoa, avocado, chunks of Red Leicester cheese and a few whole almonds.
South African Energy Bowl
- 100 g red and white quinoa or just use white
- Pinch of salt
- 1 South African Pink Lady apple cored and sliced
- 1 South African Packham or William pear cored and sliced
- 1 ripe avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 100 g Red Leicester cheese cut into chunks
- 60 g whole almonds
- A few pomegranate seeds
- Rinse the quinoa, put it into a saucepan and cover with double the volume of cold water. Add a pinch of salt and cook gently for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain in a sieve or colander and rinse with cold water to cool quickly.
- Share the quinoa between 2 serving bowls and arrange the apple, pear and avocado slices on top with the cheese and almonds.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, then serve.