Summer is the time when many delicious fruits are in season and it’s the best time to make a delicious fruit smoothie made of seasonal fruits such as strawberries and watermelon. I’ve never made a smoothie with watermelon before so this was the first time I tried it and it turned out amazing! I decided to put some mint in it as well to see what would taste like and I really wasn’t disappointed – the combination of flavours was just amazing.
This refreshing summer smoothie is perfect for those hot summer days as it will help you cool down and re-hydrate at the same time. It’s packed full of goodness with lots of vitamins, lycopene and anti-oxidants. Did you know that watermelon has more lycopene than raw tomatoes? This powerful antioxidant helps to lower the risk of stroke and has been shown to have potential anti-cancer activity (1). It also helps to protect the skin against sunburn (2).
There is no need to put any liquid in this smoothie, as watermelon is mostly water anyway, just add some ice and feel nicely refreshed afterwards. Enjoy!
- 1 cup watermelon
- 1 cup organic strawberries
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- a handful of mint
- Prepare all the ingredients: cut the watermelon, allowing 1 cup for the smoothie and use pomegranate seeds directly from pomegranate fruit. Wash strawberries and mint.
- Add all the ingredients to the blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Add some ice to the smoothie at the end and blend for few more seconds.
- Serve with more ice if you feel really hot!
- Try and get organic strawberries if you can - I bought mine from Sainsbury's.
- I couldn't make my smoothie that smooth as my blender is just not that good so be happy if your smoothie looks much smoother than mine!
- If you want to make it thicker, just add some hulled hemp seeds, chia seeds or flaxseeds.
What’s your favourite summer smoothie?