Low-carb diets have been gaining popularity in recent years due to their potential health benefits, such as weight loss and improved blood sugar control. As a result, many people in the UK are looking for low-carb alternatives to their favourite foods, including bread.
However, finding low-carb bread in supermarkets and shops can be a challenge, which is why we’ve created this comprehensive guide to help you find the best places to buy low-carb bread in the UK.
In this post, we’ll explore various options for buying low-carb bread, including popular supermarkets, health shops, and online retailers. Whether you’re following a low-carb diet or just looking for healthier bread options, this guide will help you find what you need. So, let’s get started!
Overview of Low-Carb Diets
Before we discuss where to buy low-carb bread, let’s take a quick look at what low-carb diets entail. In general, these types of diets involve reducing your intake of carbohydrates and focusing on healthy fats and protein instead.
There are several different types of low-carb diets, including the Atkins diet, the ketogenic diet, and the paleo diet. Each of these diets has its own specific guidelines and recommendations, but they all share the common goal of reducing carbohydrate intake.
Some potential benefits of low-carb diets include weight loss, improved blood sugar control, and reduced inflammation. However, it’s important to note that these diets may not be suitable for everyone, and some people may experience side effects such as fatigue, constipation, or nutrient deficiencies.
If you’re considering a low-carb diet, it’s a good idea to speak with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian to ensure that it’s a safe and appropriate choice for you.
Low-Carb Bread Available in UK Supermarkets
If you’re following a low-carb diet, you don’t have to give up bread completely. Many UK supermarkets stock a variety of low-carb bread options that can fit into your lifestyle. Here are some of the best options available:
Hovis Lower Carb Seeded Bread – 27.2g carbs per 100g
Hovis Lower Carb Seeded Bread is a deliciously seeded loaf that’s perfect for those looking to cut back on carbs. It’s normally available at Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, and Morrisons, making it easily accessible.
With only 27.2g of carbs per 100g, it’s a great option for those following a low-carb diet. This bread is also a good source of protein and fiber, making it a healthy choice overall.
Burgen Bread Soya & Linseed – 27.1g carbs per 100g
Burgen Bread Soya & Linseed is a popular low-carb bread that’s available at Sainsbury’s, Ocado, and Nisa. With 27.1g of carbs per 100g, it’s a great option for those who are watching their carb intake. This bread is made with a blend of soya and linseed, which gives it a deliciously nutty flavor. It’s also high in fiber and contains omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins D and B12. This makes it a more nutritious option than some other low-carb breads.
Hi-Lo Bread – 15.6g carbs per 100g
Hi-Lo Bread is a low-carb, high-protein bread that’s available at Sainsbury’s. With only 15.6g of carbs per 100g, it’s a great choice for those on a low-carb diet. With a powerful combination of wheat and soy protein, plus the crunchy texture from added seeds, this bread is delightfully hearty – offering an incredibly satisfying munch. It’s also a good source of fiber, making it a healthy choice for those looking to cut back on carbs.
Livlife Seriously Seeded Sliced Bread – 10.2g carbs per 100g
Livlife Seriously Seeded Sliced Bread is one of the lowest-carb breads available in the UK supermarkets, with only 10.2g of carbs per 100g. It’s available at Waitrose, making it easily accessible for those who shop at this supermarket. This bread is made with a blend of seeds, including sunflower, pumpkin, and linseed, which gives it a deliciously nutty flavor. It’s also high in fiber and protein, making it a nutritious choice overall. It contains no palm oil which is another plus.
Warburtons Plant Power Bread – 35.1g carbs per 100g
Warburtons Plant Power Bread is a high-protein, low-sugar bread that’s available at Tesco, Sainsbury’s, and Asda. With 35.1g of carbs per 100g, it’s a great choice for those looking to cut back on carbs. This bread is made with a blend of wheat, pea protein, and soya protein, which gives it a satisfying texture and a delicious flavour. It’s also low in sugar, making it a healthy choice for those looking to eat a balanced diet.
Low-Carb Bread in UK Health Shops and Specialized Stores
If you’re looking for even more low-carb bread options, health shops and specialized stores are great places to check. Holland & Barrett is a well-known health shop that stocks a wide range of low-carb breads, including Dillon’s Organic Original Flax Keto Bread. This bread is gluten-free and has only 12g of carbs per 100g, making it a great option for those on a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
Other shops such as Planet Organic and Whole Foods also carry low-carb breads. However, it is important to note that these stores only have branches in the London area although Planet Organic, for example, also has an online store.
At Planet Organic, you can find vegan and organic low-carb bread such as Profusion Protein Bread – Rye & Flax which boasts only 14.4g of carbohydrates per 100g.
Don’t worry if you’re not in London to visit one of these stores, there are plenty of online retailers that stock low-carb bread in the UK.
Where to Buy Low-Carb Bread Online
If you’re unable to find low-carb bread in your local supermarkets or health shops, there are a number of online retailers in the UK that offer low-carb bread options. Here are some examples of online shops selling low-carb bread in the UK:
- Low Carb Food Co. – This online shop offers a range of low-carb bread options including bread rolls, focaccia bread and seeded bread. The carb count per 100g is around 2g depending on the bread type.
- The Skinny Food Co. – This website offers low-carb, high-protein bread thins that contain 6.6g of carbs per 60g slice and 17.4g of protein. They also offer other low-carb bread such as Eddie Hall ‘BEAST’ High Protein Bread which is keto-friendly and has 7g of Protein per Slice.
- The Keto Pro – This online store sells low-carb, sliced multigrain bread with only 1.8g of carbs per slice (8.1g of carbs per 100g)
- Ocado – This popular online grocery retailer sells Carbzone Low-Carb Protein Rich Bread, which contains 3.7g of carbs per slice or 7.5g per 100g.
- Primal Cut – Primal Deli Low Carb Bread is a gluten-free, grain-free, and sugar-free bread with high protein, high fiber, and high fat content, making it a nutritious and tasty snack option for those on a keto or low-carb diet. On the Primal Cut website you will find a selection of low-carb bread options, including bagels, loaves, and keto pizza bases.
- Seriously Low Carb – Seriously Low Carb offers a variety of low carb bread options, including loaves and rolls, made with ingredients such as flaxseed, wheat gluten and oat fibre. Some of these breads are gluten-free. The carb count for these breads vary depending on the type, but for example, SRSLY Low Carb Bread Rolls contain 3.6g of carbs per 100g and The SRSLY Low Carb Loaf contains exactly the same amount.
- Carbzone – This website offers a selection of low-carb bread options, including sliced bread, toasties, and organic protein bread. Their Low Carb® Bread contains 12g of carbs per 100g and their Low Carb® High Protein Toasties contain 11.4g of carbs per 100g.
- Amazon – Amazon offers a variety of low-carb bread options from different brands. The carb count per slice and per 100g varies depending on the brand and type of bread. Popular brands include Heylo, Profusion and SRSLY.
Shopping for low-carb bread online has its benefits, such as convenience and a wider selection of options. With these online shops, you can easily find the perfect low-carb bread to fit your dietary needs.
Summary of Lowest Carb Breads Available in the UK
To summarise, here are our top five picks for the lowest carb breads in the UK:
- Livlife Seriously Seeded Sliced Bread – 10.2g carbs per 100g – the best low carb bread available in the UK supermarket (Waitrose)
- Hi-Lo Bread – 15.6g carbs per 100g – our second pick for the best low carb bread from the UK supermarket (Sainsbury’s)
- Dillon Organic Original Flax Keto Bread – 12g carbs per 100g – the best low carb bread available on the high street (Holland & Barrett). Organic & Gluten Free.
- Low Carb Food Co. Low-Carb Bread Sliced Loaf – 1.67g carbs per 100g – the lowest carb bread available online, especially suitable for diabetics
- SRSLY Low Carb Large Loaf – 3.6g of carbs per 100g
- Carbzone Low-Carb Protein Rich Bread – 7.5g of carbs per 100g
Final Thoughts on Where to Buy Low-Carb Bread in the UK
Finding the right low-carb bread doesn’t have to be a challenge. With so many options available in supermarkets, health shops and online retailers, there’s sure to be something that fits your dietary needs. Whether you’re looking for gluten-free bread or high protein bread, there are tons of great choices out there. We hope this article has provided some helpful insights into how to find the perfect low-carb bread for your diet. Take time to explore different brands and types of bread – you never know what deliciousness awaits!