If you want to lose some weight, reducing your carb intake is one of the proven tactics to help you achieve your weight loss goal quicker. There’s been numerous studies on low-carb diets and comparing to a low-fat diet, a low-carb diet is much more effective and gives you quicker results.
So why am I talking about losing weight? Well, I have a confession to make. Recently I gained some weight, it just happened and probably I wasn’t active enough for the amount of food I was eating. Also, maybe being in my 30s has something to do with it..
My diet is generally really healthy but at the weekend I have a treat or two. It doesn’t help having a partner who likes to have naughty foods all the time! Well, I guess there were too many weekends when I had too much calorie dense food so I gained weight.. Just a few pounds or maybe more. But now I have to take action and one of the things I started doing is reducing the amount of carbs I eat, especially for breakfast.
I really don’t like eating anything savoury for breakfast (eggs, for example!) so I came up with this high-protein, low-carb breakfast in a jar which is naturally sweetened with some blueberries and yacon syrup. Yacon syrup is a natural sweetener which contains sugar but humans cannot digest it so having it as part of a low-carb diet is not that bad. However, I believe it’s still better to use stevia sweetener, such as Natvia, if you want to do the low-carb diet properly.
This breakfast is amazing as it’s mostly protein and fats with very little carbs. In the evening I put all the ingredients in a jar for soaking overnight and in the morning I just add a spoon of greek yoghurt, blueberries and cinnamon and the breakfast is ready! Putting it in a jar is convenient as you can just take it to work and eat it at your desk (if you want).
This low-carb breakfast is made of chia seeds and flaxseeds which both contain around 22% protein with flaxseeds containing more fat. Raw shelled hemp seeds are added for more protein – they contain 30% protein and 50% fat. I also add desiccated coconut which is really high in fat (62%) but also contains some protein (6.6%). After having this breakfast I feel about 80% full and I don’t get hungry until after more than 4 hours. Amazing! Eating porridge or muesli doesn’t keep me full for that long.
Here’s exactly how I make this low-carb, high protein breakfast:
- Place all the ingredients apart from blueberries, yoghurt and cinnamon in a jar and add enough plant-based milk to cover it all. I must admit I haven't measured how much milk I use but it's probably around 200ml if not more.
- Leave it to soak overnight.
- Just before eating it, add some blueberries on top with a spoon of Greek yoghurt. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top. If needed add some more milk.
- Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy.
* This post contains affiliate links (if you purchase something after you click on a link, I will get a small commission which will help me maintain this website).